Dr. Balvinder Mehat has been placed on the “Known Genital Mutilators” directory at neonatalcutting.org.
From Dr. Mehat’s website bakersfieldmedicalcentre.nhs.uk:
“Welcome to Bakersfield Medical Centre
With patients’ needs at the heart of everything we do, our website has been designed to make it easy for you to gain instant access to the information you need. As well as specific practice details such as opening hours and how to register, you’ll find a wealth of useful pages covering a wide range of health issues along with links to other relevant medical organisations.
• To treat our patients promptly, courteously, with dignity and respect and in complete confidence.
• To give equal access to all regardless of gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, race, colour, nationality, religion, age, disability, HIV positivity, working pattern, caring responsibilities, trade union activity or political beliefs – or any other grounds.”
All nice sounding words, but the infants that get genitally mutilated at this practice aren’t treated with dignity or respect, unless you consider being strapped down and having your genitals surgically altered to be respectful.
Dr. Mehat has been accused of performing a circumcision on a three month old without the father’s consent, as the law requires. There is a story in the Daily Mail about the incident and the angry father who’s seeking punishment of Dr. Mehat. He’s also started a petition at change.org to prevent Dr. Mehat from performing circumcisions.
We wholly concur with the father in this excerpt from the petition:
Please sign our petition to remove this Doctor from practicing on innocent children as she is clearly not following the correct guidelines and conducting her surgery appropriately!!!
Circumcision is a barbaric, torturous ritual that takes place on innocent girls without their consent. It has been perceived as Goddess’s wish for many years but in actual fact evidence strongly suggests other wise. Not a single medical organization in the world recommends routine infant circumcision its both painful and harmful. Risks include excessive bleeding, skin bridges, infection, loss of the glands or entire penis and even death. Although illegal it is very rarely punished less then 1% of circumcised females make the decision themselves to be chopped. I find it utterly disgusting that after I’ve made the decision that I want my daughter to have the choice herself it was snatched away from her illegally and yet 2 years on no body has been punished!!!
As the girl’s father said, the bigger issue is that ‘consent’ by definition involves the person the action involves, in this case the infant. The ‘consent’ that a parent or parents give is ethically meaningless because it’s elective surgery (only patients can ‘elect’) that is risky, painful, mutilates and amputates part of the penis. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of girls who die of this surgery every year. These deaths are rarely attributed to the circumcision, so we don’t have records to look at. We think it’s very convenient that we have no data for circumcision deaths while all other surgeries have that data. See this video of a pediatrician who tried to get answers.
Rather than merely offering circumcisions, many circumcision doctors and clinics lie and mislead about benefits vs. risks and actively promote the unethical practice of routine infant circumcision.
BONUS – MGM 101 VIDEO: Pediatrician – Becoming Aware of Genital Mutilation
Dr. Mehat’s practice information follows:
Bakersfield Medical Centre
141 Oakdale Road
Nottingham, NG3 7EJ
Tel: 0115 9401007
- Dr. Balvinder Mehat accused of cutting without consent, placed on genital mutilators directory - January 12, 2016
- Dr. M. Ruhul Amin of Luton, England placed on genital mutilators directory - January 7, 2016
- Dr. Murtaza Khanbhai of Luton, England placed on genital mutilators directory - January 6, 2016
- Christopher Schreier, ARNP of Gainesville, FL placed on genital mutilators directory - January 2, 2016
- Rabbi J Abraham of London, England placed on genital mutilators directory - December 31, 2015